Mathias and Mary Herff bought the Popp farmhouse and forty-two acres on Grand Ave in 1918. They were both born in Luxembourg, and had originally settled in Chicago prior to moving to Franklin Park. (The Popp/Herff farm house is the building that the Gallery Restaurant at 9721 Grand Ave. occupies today.) Mathias Herff died in 1919, leaving his wife, Mary, with 9 children. Mrs. Herff and her family kept the farm until 1942, and many Franklin Parkers bought vegetables from the Herff farm stand. Many also remember Mary Herff as being very generous to needy families. Mary died in 1946.