Historical Glass Plate Negative Photographs
Fifty-one glass plate negatives were found in the 1950’s beneath the front porch of Ann Walden’s home (3336 Calwagner Ave.). She realized the importance of preserving them, and donated them to Hammill Photography Studios.
These glass negatives date back to the late 1800’s, and many of them are of homes and families of that era. We have placed a number of them here for your enjoyment. If anyone has additional information concerning who is in one of these photographs, or what the photograph is of, please contact Karen Gurski at email@example.com or call him at 847-455-6016, ext. 234.
Recently, Rodger Hammill has generously given these glass plate negatives to the Franklin Park Library’s Local History Department.
This home was built by A.B. & Libby Kirchhoff in 1892. The home still stands at 3304 Calwagner Ave. The first church founded in Franklin Park (the Methodist Church) was founded in this home.
The B-12 Tower was originally located at the southwest corner of where the Milwaukee Road and Soo Line railroads intersect. It now resides at Tower Park (the south side of the railroad tracks between Calwagner Ave. and Ruby St.).
This home was built c1895, and was owned by Charlie Dittrich. The home still stands at 3238 Rose St.
We believe this is a photograph is of the choir of the original St. Paul’s Evangelical Church in Manheim, IL (a town which resided along where Mannheim Road is today). The town has since been incorporated into Franklin Park.
This home was built for Dora (Franklin) and Pierre Combes by Lesser Franklin. It no longer stands, but was located at the northeast corner of Ruby St. and Schiller Blvd.
This home was built for Dora Martens. It was located at 9554 Belmont. For a period of time, it served as offices for the Village of Franklin Park. It was torn down in 1999.
3234 Rose St. was the home of Dr. Harold and Ada Dodge. The home served for many years as his office. There was a barn at the rear of the property for his horse and buggy (pre-automobile days). Dr. Dodge delivered many new Franklin Parkers into this world. He and his wife (Ada) were friends to many and were very involved with East Leyden High School. Dodge Field ( East Leyden’s football field was named after the Dodges). The home still stands.
Fire Chief Ed Gablin lived in this home at 3050 Gustav. The home was built in the 1890’s, and still stands today.
Henry G. Kirchhoff (the son of Henry Kirchhoff) built this home at 3231 Rose St. in the 1890’s. The home still stands today.
Pioneer settler Henry Kirchhoff built his 21-room home in 1871. He owned 320 acres surrounding the house, and allowed the Milwaukee railroad passage through his property, so long as there would always remain a railroad station serving Manheim. The home remains today as a boarding house.
We are not certain, but suspect that this might be a photograph taken in front of the Henry Kirchhoff home (10067 Franklin). We believe Dr. Dodge might be one of the gentlemen in the buggy. If you are able to confirm this or correct it, we would appreciate your input.
The whole Kirchhoff family used to get together frequently at the home of Tom & Emma (Kirchhoff) Tiedemann. This family shot is in front of that home (3519 Lincoln).
This is another photograph of the Kirchhoff family posed in front of The A.B. & Libby Kirchhoff home (3304 Calwagner).
The Kirchhoff family outside the A.B. & Libby Kirchhoff home (3304 Calwagner).
This photograph is another of the Kirchhoff family. We are not certain of the location, but a member of the Kirchhoff family has verified that the people in the picture are members of the Kirchhoff clan.
The Lesser Franklin home was built in 1893. This magnificent 10-room mansion stood on the N.W. corner of Schiller Blvd. and Atlantic St. On the estate, stood the family home, a gymnasium, stable and a three room playhouse for the children. The home was destroyed by fire in 1960.
We believe this is a photograph of “The Manheim Church” (St. Paul’s Evangelical Church of Manheim). The original church was built in 1903 on Mannheim Road just north of Belmont Ave. In April, 1940, part of the church burnt; shortly thereafter the church was torn down to provide room for the Mannheim Road’s crossing over the Milwaukee railroad tracks. The new church was built in May 1941 (3342 Calwagner).
This photograph might also be one of the early “Manheim Church” pictures. The church was rebuilt after a fire (on the same site), until it was torn down to make way for Mannheim Road and later rebuilt at 3342 Calwagner.
“The Brick School” was what early settlers called the first public school built in Franklin Park. It stood where Hester Junior High School is located (southwest corner of Gustav and Chestnut) in 1895. In 1916 Main School (later renamed Hester Junior High) was built in 1916.
This home was built for the Rich family and was later occupied by Benjamin Nation. Mr. Nation was a village trustee and an unsuccessful candidate for Village President. It is currently the home of Sax-Tiedemann Funeral home. The Tiedemann family has owned the building since 1937.
We believe that this was a “hotel” of sorts for railroad workers, at a turn-around point on the Milwaukee railroad. Here, these men could rest overnight before their return trip home.
This is another view of the “hotel” built for railroad workers..
The Atlantic and Pacific Railroad (what we later refered to as the Milwaukee Railroad) built a train station one block west of the current station on land donated by Lesser Franklin around 1890. Over the years it has changed several times. The current station was built in 1979.
This is another view of the railroad station. Note the alterations in the building that were made over the years.
A group of railroad workers standing at a location that we assume to be the Milwaukee Railroad tracks.
A steam engine entering Franklin Park, along the Milwaukee Railroad tracks.
This home was situated on the southwest corner of Edgington St. and Schiller Blvd. We do not know the owner’s name, nor when the house was raised, however, from maps of the area, we were able to determine its location.
Thomas Tiedemann married Emma Kirchhoff and had this home built at 3519 Lincoln St. The home was built c1895. Emma’s sister owned the home across the street.
William Kirchhoff had this home built in 1893. It is located at 3316 Calwagner Ave. The home was been changed over the years, and is now no longer as elaborate. It is currently being used as a boarding house.
This home was located on the southwest corner of Willow St. and Park Lane. The home was owned by Miss Helen Woodruff. She taught elocution and was a one time post-mistress. Carl Woodruff (Helen’s brother) taught piano and violin and her father was the editor of the first Franklin Park newspaper. At one time, the “Woodruff Home” was considered to be the cultural center of Franklin Park.